Monday, August 4, 2008

Introductions

Hello! I guess I should take this opportunity to tell you a little bit about me. I'm currently 30 years old. I am healthy, but overweight. I do know and understand that if I remain in my current state, it can have serious affects on my long-term health.

I don't do well with gyms. I sign up for memberships, but spend little time actually working out. I don't take "diets" seriously because I love food. So about a week ago, I decided that setting a goal to lose weight just isn't realistic for me. Instead I decided to set a higher goal, where losing weight and taking control of my fitness was just a side effect. I've always been a terrible athlete. I wanted to pick a goal that was totally outside of my realm, but still interesting. Finally, I realized I'd always wanted to finish a race of some sort. So why not train to walk a 5k?!?

Immediately, I took off with the idea. I got a meal plan from a friend of a friend and re-shaped it to my likes and lifestyle. (I love food remember? LOL) I also browsed the internet for any info I could find on training for such an event and am adjusting it for my capabilities. I tried on at least nine pairs of shoes before finding the right shoe for my foot and training needs. I chose the Asics Running shoe, style TN863 GEL 1130. I'll let you know how they work out.

So, I've decided to blog my progress for this training. I'm going to put it ALL out there. You are welcome to join me. Feel free to offer some pointers, ask questions, or share your own experiences. My hope is to have some accountability for this quest which will allow me to stay on track.

Here goes...

Monday, Aug 4, 2008
Weight: approx 265lbs

This morning Manuel and I woke up at 5:15am. We got ourselves and the dogs ready for our first walk. We did 1 mile in our neighborhood. The dogs really enjoyed their exercise and I survived!

6:45am - 3 scrambled eggs and a drinkable fat free yogurt
9:50am - Kashi Trail Mix granola bar
1:20pm - Bowl of Healthy Choice Old Fashioned Chicken Noodle Soup and Jello
3:00pm - 8 almonds
5:15pm - Metamucil fiber wafers
6:45pm - Chicken breast, wild rice, and carrots

Slowly but surely I hope to get into my own groove, but I have a feeling these first few days are going to be trial and error.

Okay, it's late and I've bored you enough. Almost bed time! See you all tomorrow!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congrats on your first day! I know you can do it. I promise when we go out to pick places where there are healthy (ish) options.

Keep up the good work!

-Kat

Jenni said...

Thanks Kat! You're swell! :o)